Stars Who Look Fab in High Def
As high definition becomes as prevalent as chicken pox in a kindergarten class. the prognostications spelling doom for certain celebrities quieted and the the shock of seeing every staple, stitch and lace front glue trail dissipates, it’s finally time to start dishing which folks are making the format worth the hype. This is my personal list and not some decree from on high. As with any post, feel free to discuss, challenge or flame my choices.
1. Queen Latifah Old school definition tended to privilege those whose faces and bodies could be easily manipulated to appear as “perfect” as producers of the consumables defined such things. Whereas high definition, tends to present folks as they “really” are. In the case of the Queen, whose gorgeous skin and stunning smile tended to be powdered away in order to hide the tiny scar on her forehead, the unforgivingness of the format means her natural beauty shines through and no more ashy, blotchy make up jobs. Watch Chicago for a good example of her radiance.
2. Jeff Goldblum Goldblum was always good looking, but unfortunately, before the advent of high definition, this was only truly apparent if you were fortunate enough to run into him in West Hollywood! Now, it’s increasingly clear why there’s so much love for this actor whose goofy features are only given their due in this format. Examples: Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
3. Dame Judi Dench Another great thing about high def format is how it seems to love faces without regard to age and privileges those who have allowed time to take their faces on a more natural journey. This isn’t to suggest I have any particular issue with cosmetic surgery; I don’t. But I do think it’s great the format lends credence to the idea that mature faces with delicate features can and do look absolutely stunning with nothing more than a sassy pixie cut and some mascara. See also: Dianne Wiest. PS: Dench’s Bond costar doesn’t look too shabby in high def either!
4. Brad Pitt Frankly, the staggering amounts of nitpicking Brad Pitt’s acne scars receive can only be attributed to hateration. He’s human; sometimes humans get acne! Sometimes that acne never fully heals itself and sometimes it leaves scars. Nevertheless, of all the films Brad Pitt has done, I found him most handsome in Babel, but then hey, I thought Clooney was at his foxiest in Syriana! For the record, they did add some “wrinkles” to Pitt and color his hair gray, but it also seems they didn’t try to cover any “imperfections” that already existed either. Also, picking on a celeb’s acne scars just tells me there’s nothing else to complain about, which I don’t know, I can think of any number of things more annoying about Pitt (who I love) than some pock marks. Like, um, the fact he kinda, sorta plays the same character in every movie. Just sayin’. (except 12 Monkeys)
5. Ken Wantanabe Now if you want to throw some shade, Ken’s your man. There is not a high definition capable camera on this planet that doesn’t love this dude’s face. So much so it became rather distracting (in a good way) in Inception. The man doesn’t age. The camera holds onto every subtle facial movement and simply cannot turn even one of his faintest smiles loose.
Honorable Mentions: Denzel! Halle! Kevin Spacey, Lucy Liu, Regina King, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Don Cheadle, Joan Chen, Joan Allen, Jeff Bridges, Jean Reno, Dustin Hoffman, Mandy Patinkin, Hugh Grant, Will Smith, Pierce Brosnan, James Gandolfini, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Angela Bassett, Bill Clinton, Diahann Caroll, James Pickens Jr., Gillian Anderson, Salma Hayek, Penelope Cruz, Natalie Portman, Vera Farmiga, Matt Damon, Steve Martin, Jesse L. Martin, The Brolins, Ian McShane!!!! The cast of the Star Trek reboot, particularly Quinto and Urban.