Candy Everybody Wants

February 19, 2011

It’s the middle of winter and SAD season here in the states, which means I’m eating sugar – a whole lot of it. The occasional indulgence is fine, but who can afford extra trips to the dentist these days? I’m thinking a musical cure might help me reduce my intake and give my pancreas a break from all that insulin production. I don’t want to catch the diabetes!

Here are some of my favorite songs about candy, sweets, and sugar, with hopes that some singing and dancing will help battle the cravings (and reduce the number of wrappers I find tucked into pockets and bottoms of bags).

“Kid in Candy” – The Spinanes

From one of my favorite albums of 1998, I dedicate this one especially to Angie, who was there in Oregon when it was happening.

“Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk” – Rufus Wainwright

Of course, I’m not the only one fighting off addictive urges, there are whole songs about it!  I’m a cafeteria Rufus-fan, I pick and choose a couple songs each album I like and leave the rest alone, but this is one of my all-time favorites.

“Chocolate” – Kylie Minogue

Almost as good as the real thing. Almost.

“Hard Candy Christmas” – RuPaul

I was going to post Fry Butter Fave Dolly Parton’s original, but it’s so tragic it makes me want to eat more sugar. This one is more “post-holiday winter blues” level of sad, and it makes me think of how happy I was years ago when I found the mp3 of the song for my friend Liza.

“I Want Candy” – MC Chris

In case I’ve forgotten my own warnings about dental problems, this video will help remind me about the dangers of cavities.

~~~~~

What are your favorite songs about candy, sugar, chocolate, and anything so sweet it makes your teeth hurt?

1. eieioj permalink
    February 19, 2011 5:03 pm

The Giraffes– Kill The Cake

2. February 19, 2011 5:24 pm

ooooh, baked goods. mmmmm. that’s a subgenre I hardly touched on in this post, so thanks for including it! I love the organ setting on a keyboard, too, so I like that little solo in the middle.

3. unscrambled permalink
    February 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Blatantly not really about candy, that being said, one of the rare discussions of giving head to men and women when the singer is male.

4. February 19, 2011 5:53 pm

speaking of blatantly not really about candy, I was very close to putting this song in. I didn’t because it’s played to death, but I still love it!

February 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Excellent subject, Raymond, and I say thing having recently pulled a chocolate bread pudding out of the oven. I know, you want to be me. Or near me. As long as I have chocolate bread pudding. Maybe.

Anyway, the song that makes me think about candy and it deliciousness, well ahead of any other song, is Gene Wilder singing “Come with Me” in 1971′s Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I could even write out the shot sequence from memory, I think. Not that I’m obsessive, or anything…

6. February 19, 2011 6:29 pm

oooh, good call, Ev!!!

and yes, please fedex me a giant slice of chocolate bread pudding, thanks.

7. February 20, 2011 12:02 am

Great post, Raymond! You posted Mtume before I could!

Oh so early 90s…

8. February 20, 2011 1:54 am

speaking of early 90s, I thought of you when I rewatched The Pelican Brief tonight for the first time in years. I could hardly concentrate on the thriller portion, I kept getting blown away by the fashion and 90s wares!

9. February 20, 2011 10:34 am

I feel obligated to post this one, although I admit it’s a liberal interpretation of the theme…

10. February 20, 2011 10:36 am

Also kind of not really about candy:

11. February 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Julia Roberts had what seemed like an endless supply of horrible floral calf length dresses! I like her Monday-go-to-meeting suit. Who knew they made them in yellow.

12. February 20, 2011 1:14 pm

@sesmith: I like “I Want Candy”! I was going to do White Williams’ cover, but couldn’t find it on youtube.

Oh, Aqua.

@snarkysmachine: I think my favorite outfit was the ankle-length floral skirt with the two sizes too big chambry shirt left open to reveal a midriff shirt. That was some classic early 90s isht.

13. February 20, 2011 3:24 pm

14. February 20, 2011 8:18 pm

HAHAHAHA.

15. February 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Ow. Looks real nice; dressed up tight!

16. February 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Cupcake by Nellie McKay.

17. February 21, 2011 4:05 pm

LOL.

18. November 4, 2012 7:04 am

Eat candy and sing & dance