Who is That Actor: William Fichtner

October 27, 2010

William Fichtner seems to have a face made for character acting, particularly for characters on the sketchier end of the law and riddled with moral ambiguities. While having an acting range similar Steve Buscemi – Fichtner could have easily played the lead on Boardwalk Empire – perhaps Fichtner just reads as entirely too squirrelly for leading roles. Similar to Xander Berkeley, the appearance of William Fichtner is often times its own spoiler! Ha. I knew I recognized his voice; he voices the character Ken Rosenberg in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas!

In Heat – sorry, couldn’t embed – Fichtner plays Roger Van Zant, a money launderer who draws the ire of Deniro & Co. because he won’t play ball. The ease in which he negotiates corporate sleaziness is quite chilling, and his role in Heat is typical of the fare he’s often cast in. But he’s most memorable to me for his comedic quip in Armageddon upon seeing the rag tag bunch of oil drillers cum astronauts, “Talk about The Wrong Stuff!” complete with bombastic music.

LOL re: The Wrong Stuff!

Oh, I love these cheesy fan made tribute videos! Characters actors always have really great ones:

During a recent screening of Red, I noticed Fichtner’s next project is a wretched looking Nic Cage vehicle called Drive Angry 3D.

One of my favorite Fichtner performances was in the film Contact as Kent. It was refreshing to see him playing a nuanced, thoughtful character who wasn’t a jerk!

1. October 27, 2010 3:19 pm

I have had a crush on him that started with his appearance on Grace Under Fire.

2. October 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Oh my god. I love his high box fade!

October 27, 2010 4:26 pm

I love Fichtner! I really need to get my hands on some Boardwalk Empire episodes…

4. October 28, 2010 12:46 am

I always thought Mr. Fichtner should play the role of political pundit Alan Colmes.

5. metermouse permalink
    October 28, 2010 10:30 am

oh wow, my brain sort of refused to connect him as also being Kent in Contact, because he was a good guy! silly brains…

6. October 28, 2010 11:17 am

@metermouse – i agree. I tend to separate out Fichtner’s performance in Contact from most of his other performances. It’s unlike 90% of the work he’s better known for.