Here Comes the Rain Again

September 30, 2010

If you’re lucky, it’s not raining where you are today. But for much of the East Coast we’re being battered by rain, rain and more rain. All this rain naturally turns my thoughts to songs about – you guessed it – rain…

Madonna – “Rain:

“Rain” is one of my favorite songs by Madonna (Deeper and Deeper is my favorite) and definitely found myself washing my breakfast dishes, staring out the window and singing a few notes of this song. It also features “talking in the middle”, which is always tops in my book.

Phil Collins – “I wish it Would Rain Down”

I see you, Jeffrey Tambor and Eric Clapton. I bet you never thought you’d hear the names Jeffrey Tambor and Eric Clapton in the same sentence, much less see them in the same video! Clapton rules with his, “He used to be a drummer in a really good band. Then the singer left…” LOL. Eric Clapton’s a better actor than Phil Collins. Maybe Clapton should have been cast in Buster. I love this song so much. It’s 80% due to Clapton. Where’s Ringo Starr? Surely, he was available!

The Eurythmics – “Here Comes the Rain Again”

Oh Annie, you stay “shutting it down”. It’s like your default state. I am loving her eyebrows and pixie cut. Annie is just all kinds of fierce. The Eurythmics videos were always the coolest in the 80s. Even when Annie’s singing gothic lyrics like, “here comes the rain again, falling on my head like a tragedy…” she’s never dour.

Eddie Rabbitt – “I Love a Rainy Night”

No, Michael Bay hasn’t abandoned directing to embark on a career in country western music. This is old school playa Eddie Rabbitt with his classic “I Love a Rainy Night”, which seeks to put a more positive spin on inclement weather. For about three minutes it does.

Oran “Juice” Jones – “The Rain”

Dope beats can’t compensate for this cheesy video and incredibly cheesy 80s phat jam. That said, I still love this one hit wonder! I don’t need a luxury pad complete with glass bricks to know I’m watching an 80s video! And they say rap videos are misogynistic and problematic. They’ve got nothing on this assclown!

Now it’s your turn. Toss in a few weather related tunes to help commiserate with those of us on the east coast.

1. September 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Great list! I love the Madonna song too. I tend to like pensive Madonna tunes in general, like This Used to Be My Playground, and especially Live to Tell.

The first song that popped to mind was the Temptations. Love the song, but since my city’s about to be soaked, not the sentiment:

2. September 30, 2010 2:36 pm

It’s hard to hold a candle in the cold November Rain… Back when we thought Axl would become the 90s version of the 70s Elton John. That said, this song is pretty tight. I used to watch this video – back when MTV played videos – all the time.

3. hsofia permalink
    September 30, 2010 2:37 pm

#2 by Phil Collins is definitely the best of that list!!! And I just realized that Phil Collins in that video looks like my father in law. *mind boggles*

Whew! And that Oran Jones song was the cut back in the day! That video was playing on BET ALL the time.

You can’t forget a little Milli Vanilli. They got a lot of flack but truth be told, they sold 3 million records so somebody liked them! I think the fifth cassette I ever bought was their album. I wore the tape out on this one.

4. September 30, 2010 2:48 pm

I owned it! I won’t front. And in Europe we were already wise to the fakery. But we still liked them.

Also, I think at some point lots of men start looking like Phil Collins as they get older, rounder and balder. No shame though. He’s pretty cute. If I wanted to hate on Phil, this video would make it an impossible task. He makes fun of himself far too well.

And because I can…

5. unscrambled permalink
    September 30, 2010 3:09 pm

taking the low hanging fruit, while this isn’t my favorite song about rain, this is certainly my favorite video. Go Missy, with your trashbag body rebellion.

and thus, credit is also due to Ann Peebles. Oh yes.

6. September 30, 2010 3:22 pm

Tina can’t stand the rain either!

September 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Great post, Snarky!

My favorite rain song:

8. hsofia permalink
    September 30, 2010 3:33 pm

November Rain was tight! I did think Guns ‘N Roses was going to be around a long while like Aerosmith, but instead they just faded ….

9. September 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Billie Myers – Kiss The Rain

10. September 30, 2010 5:27 pm

My favorite rain song is Peter Gabriel’s “Here Comes The Flood.”

I’d have posted the Fripp version, but didn’t want to subject anyone to the extra five minutes of Frippertronic tape loops.

September 30, 2010 5:32 pm

@Redlami: One of my favorites, too! Thanks for hooking that one up for us.

12. September 30, 2010 6:31 pm

13. September 30, 2010 8:16 pm

I love the song “Rain” by The Beatles. It’s probably in my Top 5 Beatles songs.

Also, I love the shots of Ringo walking. I want to mix them with “Little Green Bag.”

14. September 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Rain is an excuse to feel sorry for ourselves, and nobody does it better than Carpenters!

Please note the K that represents our depressed singer seems way too thin for its height and that Richard seems to ignore his sis throughout the entire thing. Have fun!

15. Regina B permalink
    October 1, 2010 12:55 am

These are all fabulous. I’m embarrassed to realize that, while I didn’t recognize “Juice” Jones’s song by name, I do know the words by heart.

I’d just like to add Garbage’s “Only Happy When It Rains” (which I first heard as an outro on H:LOTS):

16. October 1, 2010 5:50 am

I was moving yesterday and missed this!!! I’ll be back with videos.

and damn, I forgot about the long form version of the Phil Collins video! “I never said I could act, he said I could sing!”

17. October 1, 2010 7:06 am

oh snap, billie meyers kiss the rain! i forgot about that, but damn i know nearly all the words. i think there was a house remix they played at the dyke bar in college all the time.

I love this song and thought it was rufus wainwright for a super long time.

I see you, Love Jones.

18. October 1, 2010 7:26 am

I can’t believe no one has posted this yet! And by “no one”, I mean me and Snarky.

19. IrishUp permalink
    October 1, 2010 10:05 am

This is terrific stuffs right here!
    I’m in a bit more of a Brit Rock mood, so I went to Led Zep for The Rain Song

Can I tell you how many times I saw this at the midnight showings at the 8th St Playhouse or Zigfield Theater (hah, a Babs tie-in!)? No accurate count was ever made. But it was many upon many.

And of course, Love, Reign O’er Me. Sure, Pete uses “reign” instead of “rain”. But the homophone is clearly intentional. Perhaps the Chairman’s nod to Keats?

20. October 1, 2010 10:51 am

Zigfield theater! Brilliant playoff, IrishUp.

here are my darker moody rain songs:

21. October 1, 2010 11:29 am

I love that Spiritualized song so very, very much. Well, I just love them… but yeah.

Here’s a few poplife rainy day raves:

Carol King – “It Might As Well Rain Until September” Which isn’t really about it raining in the literal sense, but I love it, so here it is.

Quasi – “It’s Raining” A song about rain from a Portland band? Weird….

Swell Maps – “Raining In My Room” One of the great noisypoppunk bands shuts it down.

Bob Dylan – “Buckets of Rain” Bob brings a little mellow sensuality to the table. Probably my fave Bob tune. Neko Case does a pretty great cover as well.

The Cult – “Rain” So bad ass. I still love these guys.

The Prisonaires – “Just Walking in the Rain”. I won’t front. This song makes me cry.

Wille Nelson – “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” This song makes me all blubbery too. Willie rules you.

And of course:

22. October 1, 2010 11:30 am

Beta Band!!! *squee!*

23. IrishUp permalink
    October 1, 2010 11:55 am

* bows reverntly to poplife *

24. October 1, 2010 1:21 pm

I’m bowing too! Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain is SO AWESOME!!! I love that one. Y’all have made my day, which is long and filled with rain.

From one my favorite films, featuring one of my faves:

Some old school Tony! Toni! Tone!

And of course, one of my favorite songs – rain or otherwise…

25. October 1, 2010 1:23 pm

I see you, Raymond!

26. October 1, 2010 1:30 pm

I love when p0plife steps up to the dj decks and shuts it down!!

27. October 1, 2010 1:53 pm

SEDAKA FTW!

28. October 1, 2010 2:18 pm

Me too, Raymond, me too!

29. October 1, 2010 8:19 pm

Damn, hsofia, I was going to post Milli Vanilli! Did someone post Missy? Or was that Tina?