Who is that actor: Miguel Ferrer

September 12, 2010

Heartthrob George Clooney has a cousin named Miguel Ferrer, who’s a fantastic character actor! (his parents are the great Rosemary Clooney and actor/academy award-winner José Ferrer). With all this pedigree you’d think he’d be a household name, instead of the dude everyone mistakes for this guy.

Adding to the confusion, like J.K. Simmons, Ferrer also has a deep, resonate voice and has costarred on an NBC procedural – Crossing Jordan, a show I have never seen! Still confused?

Ferrer’s filmography boasts a roster of “flamboyant” villains and shady characters. My favorites being his coke snorkeling fiend in the sci-fi cop classic Robocop

and the small potatoes drug smuggler Ruiz in Traffic

Recently, Ferrer has turned up on television, lending his talents to shows such as Psych, Law & Order: Criminal Intent and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. According to his IMDB page, Ferrer has a few irons in the fire and I’m definitely looking forward to seeing him in more roles and hopefully some more high profile roles.

Ferrer also used to be married to “Roxy” from Basic Instinct. I always wondered what happened to Leilani Sarelle :

1. September 12, 2010 1:09 pm

I love him! I always think of him as being from Hot Shots: Part Deux and as Lloyd Henreid in the ABC miniseries of “The Stand.”

2. September 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Miguel Ferrer is so amazing. It’s always a treat to catch a glimpse of him in a movie or on TV. I can’t believe I didn’t immediately put together the Jose Ferrer connection.

3. September 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Ever since you started this series, whenever I watch TV and see someone familiar whose name I don’t know, I shout out “It’s That Guy (or Gal)!” When I saw Miguel recently I immediately thought of JK Rowling Simmons — it makes me think of actor pairs who tend to inhabit the same kind of space, or who the second choice might be (e.g. Brian Dennehy) when you couldn’t get the your first choice (Charles Durning).

I especially appreciate how you do the legwork — I never even knew Cyrano was married to Rosemary Clooney, let alone that they had offspring in the business.

4. September 12, 2010 6:10 pm

I had no idea that Miguel Ferrer was related to George Clooney! That’s some fascinating celebrity trivia. That whole family is pretty talented, come to think of it.

I only know Miguel Ferrer from Crossing Jordan, even though I’ve only seen a few episodes. But when I did watch Crossing Jordan, I remember thinking that he has the gruff, authoritative yet comforting presence of a someone who’d always be the leader on a TV show that dealt with criminal cases or medical crises. So it makes sense he’s been on CSI and L&O–he just kind of seems to be that kind of “that guy.”

5. September 12, 2010 7:10 pm

omg, I didn’t know Miguel was Rosemary’s son!! I did know he’s “not J.K. Simmons” though. I totally remember the Medium episode he’s in too, which is saying a lot since that show has become a crazy cameo powerhouse.

6. Citizen Taqueau permalink
    September 12, 2010 9:38 pm

As a never-say-denouement Peak Freak, I will always think of MF as Special Agent Albert Rosenfield, Cooper’s cynical foil. Together they make a brilliant pair of mismatched white knights, with Albert’s caustically misanthropic, smoldering rage against not only evil, but even mere veniality, driven by the same sense of Justice-majuscule as Coop’s gobsmackingly pure, true-believer quest for truth and goodness. Plus, they are both. so. hot.

7. September 15, 2010 10:26 am

It’s really a mystery to me why Ferrer isn’t a bigger name. He’s always great in everything he does, and he’s 2nd Generation Hollywood Royalty. It just doesn’t add up. Maybe he doesn’t want to be well known? That might be the answer. He really is an actor in all the best senses of that word and I would watch him do just about any role. Still, it’s funny that the son of two extremely well known and well liked performers would be a kind of nobody!