Yum Yum Fun That is Cool and Keen

August 10, 2010

The Snoop Sno Cone Machine, if you don’t know, is a sno cone maker for kids, a satisfyingly chunky red and white plastic dog house that made loud rackety scraping sounds as you filed those ice cubes into dixie bathroom cupfuls of delicious shaved ice. The first batch was usually somewhat ruined, as the kool-aid proportions wouldn’t be right, mother so concerned with the amount of sugar in the syrup, it could get a little watery. But ultimately, it was a really great childhood toy, activity and snack. We always made them in the garage, so that the sticky mess wouldn’t get on the kitchen floor, and also maybe so the grinding noise wouldn’t cause parental headaches.

I think of this contraption a lot, it was a favorite during Virginia summers as a young kid, but something happening in the move down to Atlanta and it didn’t work anymore, maybe a piece went missing, so I don’t have many memories of it past the age of 7. What I had forgotten was the theme song to the commercial, at least until Snarky went and sang it on facebook last week and got it stuck in my head again. Commercials really don’t utilize jingles as often anymore, the way television shows have shied away from theme songs, so the few ad campaigns that still utilize them stand out. For example, this one:

That song still gets heavy rotation in commercials now, it’s been remixed, re-recorded, and it’s so deeply implanted in the psyche of those of us of a certain generation. I am surrounded by a bunch of cat owners who also have cats that need medication, and most of them have discovered this product, Pill Pockets, serves them quite well in the endeavor. Everytime I see these bags in pantries or on kitchen counters, or even catsitting for them, I sing their name outloud to the same tune as Hot Pockets.  Every.  Time.

And now you will too!

That is a powerful jingle, if it’s got the market on all pockets with a monosyllabic adjective preceding them.

I know those free credit report people have been bantering about in this arena lately, even offering bands big breaks with song contests, but they are not contained in this pop culture report because I can’t stomach them.  I have no excuse for my weak constitution other than simple aging, because I certainly have enough room in my brain’s jukebox for this series of commercial jingles:

I wasn’t allowed to chew Juicy Fruit as a kid, because of sugar content, though I did wonder once if it’s because I didn’t water ski.  I can almost remember the moment as a teenager when I FINALLY tried Juicy Fruit and thought damn, this is weak.  I never ended up being much of a skier either, water or snow.

1. August 10, 2010 7:46 am

This song was popular to sing in our kitchen, though we never actually used this product — my dad and I would just sing it when my mom made ANY chicken dish.

2. August 10, 2010 7:50 am

someone brought this song up around me recently, when they merely said, “wasn’t there a baby back ribs song?” and I replied “shut it” before she finished the question. Too late, it got lodged in.

3. August 10, 2010 8:34 am

Oh my god I’m glad I’m not the only one who sings “Pill Pockets” to the Hot Pockets jingle.

I’m still a fan of the Mentos song:

4. August 10, 2010 10:27 am

I love this thread so much. I sang that damn Snoopy Sno Cone jiggle constantly. I can’t believe (okay, I can) I still knew all the freaking words.

La Mommie smartly wanted no parts of any cooking situation. I can’t imagine the sticky ant ridden hell that accompanied the Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine.

5. August 10, 2010 10:32 am

@snarky, I was required to clean it up myself after the age of 6, so maybe that’s why I stopped playing with it as much…..

@eieioj: I think pill pockets should make an explicit ad, the way verizon ripped off the big red ad!

6. August 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Oh the Big Red ad…

That Hot Pockets ad always seemed a total ripoff off Ghostbusters to me…

7. August 10, 2010 2:01 pm

That Big Red jingle is still awesome. As is the fact that Peter Billingsly (aka Ralphie form A Christmas Story) is the tuba player.

Who can forget this gem?

8. August 10, 2010 2:46 pm

omg, Pepsi Clear!!! whoa.

9. August 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Oh we can stray out of the 80s? If so then I’d like to reference one of my favorites from the (gasp!) 60s that has forever been burned into my brain. “Taste that beats the others cold, Pepsi pours it on!”

10. August 10, 2010 3:14 pm

I think any commercial jingle embedded into the brain is the theme, no matter the decade!

I still get the Glade “Plug it in, plug it in” song in my head nearly every time I plug anything into any socket.

11. August 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Oscar Mayer has two of the best jingles ever:

Another soft drink song: “I’m a Pepper” performed by American Werewolf David Naughton

And finally, one of my all-time favorites, Barry Manilow’s “Stuck on Band Aids”

12. August 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Stuck on band-aids definitely gets stuck in my brain too.

13. August 10, 2010 3:37 pm

@redlami, this doesn’t have a jingle, but I thought you’d appreciate the Chuck Mangione appearance:

August 10, 2010 7:26 pm

The best thing about the Sno Cone machine is that it looks like a piece of crap, but when I was a kid all I could think was WHOA I WANT ONE I WANT ONE!

And yeah, I remember the jingle, too.

August 10, 2010 7:29 pm

And any commercial that showed action figures IN ACTION got me very excited to get one of my own. Every other kid’s backyard in these ads looked so much more amazing than the crap we had in my backyard. Do toy ads even show kids playing with the product anymore? Outside?

16. August 10, 2010 7:41 pm

LOL. Stuck on Band-Aid cause band-aid stuck on me. I totally remember that one.

17. August 10, 2010 9:08 pm

@evmaroon I laughed when the announcer said “string not included.” And I remember that ad!!

August 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Dude, he’s powered by STRING! And not batteries! Dayum!!

19. Mary Alice permalink
    August 13, 2010 7:30 pm

the Snoopy Machine! I had one. And I believe we sold them again at the bookstore I worked at for a while, so maybe they brought them back?

20. August 14, 2010 11:49 am

@Mary Alice, they did bring them back! I ordered one online after making this post, and so I think a follow-up write-up will be necessary.