Your Friday Five #12: More Dog Days of Summer

July 30, 2010

via the fabulous Selvedge Yard. Pure popsicle fuled fun.

MTV is running ads for the Video Music Awards. Which in my teen life meant, “Summer is almost over.” Make the best of what you’ve got left…

• Awesome, dude-centric, they-don’t-make-‘em-like-that-anymore fashion blog, The Selvedge Yard has a wonderful gallery of vintage Schwinn Stingray pictures. I am missing having a bike something fierce right now. When I was just a young Poplife, riding through suburban Paseos to get to the Thrifty Drug Store for a double dip of Rocky Road and Mint Chip was a summer tradition. I would also pick up any new comics they had and devour both comics and ice cream laying on the grass in the shade.
  • Garden State band Real Estate has become one of my soundtracks to this short, somewhat weird Portland summer. Jangly guitars with a drawl. This band makes good on what I wanted the bands I was reading about in ‘zines to sound like. As much as I hate to use this word in music reviews, I’m gonna do it: Evocative. These little meandering songs feel like lazing around in my bedroom alone on a summer afternoon. Doodling away on my lapdesk, making comics about magic foxes with one eyeball and women who flew fighter jets by day and then were in a bitchin’ pop band by night. There is a wealth of free and legal Real Estate tunes out there for you to enjoy. But please, if you like them, buy a record or two! Listen and download: Daytrotter Session, NYC Taper, and live at Primavera Sound Festival in Spain.
  • Another way to spend your summer: Poolside.
  • via Comically Vintage. Remember your red dress next time you wanna throw stones.

As you may have already figured out from up top, comic books ate up most of my summers! I still love them, and I love the Comically Vintage tumblr with it’s constant stream of sharp, weird, and just plain goofy frames from comics, taken out of context. There’s lots of BIFF!, BANG!, ZOW!, creepy aliens, clueless superheroes, natty gangsters, and good, old-fashioned sexism from the 50’s. Remember the “good ol’ days”. Right?

• via Flickr usr nayrb7. There is not enough crap piled on to the rim of this drink. Send it back.

I’m mostly a beer and wine drinker, but no summer is complete without at least one completely ridiculous concoction that comes dressed to the nines with chunks of fruit, herbs, umbrellas and plastic jungle animals. One of my favorite food blogs, Chow, breaks down one of the ultimate fruity cocktails, The Trader Vic’s Mai Tai! I’ll also gladly partake of Zombies, Singapore Slings, and the perfect (on the rocks NOT blended) Margarita. Cheers!

1. eieioj permalink
    July 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Sounds like the makings of a fantastic summer! I think I’ma need me some of that.

2. July 30, 2010 3:29 pm

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic’s; his hair was perfect

Oh this post makes me so happy. I definitely need to order a drink dressed much fancy than I am! I wonder if I can get a Mai Tai served in a sequin glass.

3. July 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Growing up in Southern California, we didn’t have any seasons beyond “warm,” “kinda hot,” and “a little colder than usual.” So in a weird way, the beginning of MTV VMA hype was my informal way of knowing summer was almost over, along with Target’s back-to-school ads.

These days, its the announcement of the TV fall schedules that reminds me flip-flop weather is going to end soon. Which makes me sigh, at myself.

4. July 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Pop Scribbles, Poplife and I grew up in So-Cal too. I agree with your comment. Very true re: TV Fall Schedule. Also Miller’s Outpost back-to-school attire commercials.

5. July 30, 2010 4:35 pm

I would possibly kill for a few summer days here in SF so I could lounge by a pool or possibly drink something with an umbrella in it. Instead, it’s layers on and out into the temperate climate as usual!

6. eieioj permalink
    July 31, 2010 8:06 am

@Snarky’s: I have a rainbow sequin martini glass! The base of it is actually a straw, so it’s, like, the best glass ever.

7. July 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Yes! Sequined glasses are needed for true frou-frou drink tomfoolery. I smell IFMiB Convention BBQ Cocktail Blowout

8. August 2, 2010 4:14 pm

I thought of your post last night as we made cocktails out of crushed watermelon, peach, cucumber, mint and vodka. We all busted out spoons to eat our drink out of the bottom of the glass!! Ah, summer. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the last few weeks before they fly by.