Quick Pats of Butter: Betty, Mel and Pee Wee

July 2, 2010

Bettymania shows no signs of letting up, despite skirting the boundaries of overexposure. White’s new show Hot in Cleveland is getting notice, though it’s generally not the kind one wishes for a slap dash vehicle fueled by the power of Betty White’s unstoppable 3rd act. Now comes word that the ubiquitous vampire franchise – which is doing just fine sans Betty – Twilight wants to tap into the tremendous cultural currency of Ms. White. Now, I am all about some Betty White, but at some point the phenomena will reach saturation and the eventually backlash will began. Remember, once we were all bonks about Clara of “Where’s the beef?” fame, but audiences got tired of that, after it was run into the ground.

Speaking of folks who need to be run into the ground Mel Gibson has struck again. Offending the Jewish people and beholders of sugar tits, simply wasn’t enough for this drunken, abusive crackpot. He went for the triple crown. Radar got some juicy dirt on the aging sociopath’s latest performance piece:

“You’re an embarrassment to me,” Mel tells her at one point.

“You look like a f***ing pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n***ers, it will be your fault.”

Okay then! Anyone want to wager which blactor will be sitting next to Mel across the desk from Larry King or on the couch with Oprah? I don’t think it’ll be Glover. Isn’t he still in jail on a trumped up civil disobedience do gooder charge? Decades ago after watching Lethal Weapon, La Mommie said, “I don’t think he’s [Gibson] acting.”

An Judd Apatow has decided there ought to be a Pee Wee Herman film.

“Let’s face it, the world needs more Pee-wee Herman,” Apatow told Variety

I’m gonna go ahead and take a hot bag of, “no thanks!” on that.

1. July 2, 2010 10:18 am

Is it my imagination, or is Paul Reubens (whose actual name wasn’t mentioned in that piece) starting to morph into Al Lewis?

2. July 2, 2010 10:23 am

I was just going along with the Al Lewis thing. I thought you meant this dude.

3. July 2, 2010 10:24 am

A hahahaha…. no I meant this guy:

4. July 2, 2010 10:26 am

I wonder of either Pee Wee or Al have done covers of “Year of the Cat”?

5. July 2, 2010 10:59 am

Well, Clara Peller may be the proper age reference, but certainly not the same level of talent as Ms. White. Peller was a One Pattie Pony with her three syllable comment, so I definitely don’t fear Betty reaching burnout status, even if she starts showing up in vampire movies or even Wendy’s commercials!

Mel Gibson really feels entitled at this point. A couple of Oscars and a movie that proves Jesus Christ is on your side, and I guess you start thinking anything you say is honky dory.

But this would be the THIRD Pee-Wee film… The first was a classic, the second was forgettable. It sounds like Apatow is planning to supersize the original, and that might be watchable in that they’ll probably bring in a ton of amazing cameos, and the focus won’t be so much on the geek in the ill-fitting suit. At least, that’s my hope!

July 2, 2010 12:24 pm

See, this is why it sucks that Law & Order has gone off the air, because they totally could have done a sequel to the ripped from the headlines Mel Gibson episode that starred Chevy Chase. I’m sure Chase has some time for another ep….

7. July 2, 2010 1:08 pm

I’m excited for a new Pee-Wee! I hope that Apatow goes more for his sentimental “Freaks and Geeks” side and stays away from the us-dudes-just-get-hurt-by-women-who-are-awful “Saving Silverman” side. I was glad to read that he wanted to focus on an epic road movie and not a gimmicky bit ala the (as Dean said) horrendous Big Top Pee-Wee.

8. July 2, 2010 1:39 pm

ugh, I have no faith in Judd Apatow, to be honest. I thought I liked two of his movies (Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I Love You, Man) but oops, turns out they were made by others in his group of friends. Knocked Up was awful and made me feel terrible and I’m still mad at Harold Ramis for Year One, which guess who produced that stinky mess?

And I share your concern of Betty White overload. I actually think we’ve crossed the saturation point already, but because it’s her, I can tolerate it more, but I”m very nervous. Leave Betty White alone! The woman needs a nap and so do we!!

9. tanyadiva permalink
    July 2, 2010 2:34 pm

Dear Mel,
    WWJD?

He’s slap your ass back to Galipoli. You know it’s true.

10. July 2, 2010 2:47 pm

@tanya

Yes, but then Mel would have to admit that a true Christian would turn the other cheek!

July 4, 2010 10:53 pm

@tanyadiva: muahahahaha! or Jerusalem. or a cornfield plagued by crop circles.