Weird Ass Videos

June 23, 2010

The White Stripes are from Detroit and they don't play, Bart Simpson!

Weird, funny and silly music videos, yo!

“Rough Boy” – ZZ Top – Afterburner
This slow jam is one of their most slamming tracks. The intro shuts it down. I’m pretty sure there’s feminist analysis to be had – what with all the disembodied sexy lady legs and such. That said, ZZ’s attempt at edginess results in less sexist imagery than usual. Yay, progress. Nevertheless, this video is odd as shit.

“Rock-a-Lot” – Aretha Franklin – Aretha
I remember seeing this all the time on BET back when they used to play grown folk jams like this. The video is HILARIOUS. I see you, Luke Skywalker, Whodini, and possible soap actor who looks like Buster Poindexter!

“California Love” 2Pac
Ha. It’s got that whole life beyond the thunderdome vibe. This is so weird and funny, but that song is still tight!

“Denial Twist” – The White Stripes
The first time I saw this video I thought my TV was broke! I hit the side a couple of times before my friend said, “I think it’s supposed to be like that!” Damn, I miss the White Stripes. I don’t like his other stuffs. (sorry). I want some more songs about doorbells and disco booty quakers about orchids.

1. Alyx Vesey permalink
    June 24, 2010 12:10 am

Wow, these are awesome. I hadn’t seen the first two videos at all, so my mind is blown. Claymation Aretha Franklin also reminds me of the Genesis/Ronald Reagan puppets in the “Land of Confusion” video, which haunts my dreams.

2. June 24, 2010 1:36 am

Yes, I dig on the claymation Aretha too. They got her mannerisms perfect! I also like the plot of the video. It’s always a great time when you’re able to do the electric slide on roller skates. Perfect summer song, but totally a weird fun video.

I bet the same folks did the Land of Confusion video, which I was told not to post, as it has been the source of many childhood nightmares. I see that I am not alone in this experience.

June 24, 2010 8:55 am

I didn’t much care for Land of Confusion as a teenager, either. It was one of the few things worse than acne and dating.

June 24, 2010 8:57 am

Wait a minute, was that woman carrying a television like a boom box? And was that a Rodney Dangerfield cameo????

5. June 24, 2010 9:28 am

Aw, that makes me a little sad that people got traumatized by Land of Confusion. I keep thinking about singing it at karaoke, but I’m not sure if the KJ version has the weird slowed-down bridge and I would prefer to skip that. But I forgot all about the Aretha video that uses the same style!!

6. June 24, 2010 9:42 am

That White Stripes video was almost as funny as their cameo in the Simpsons ep!

7. June 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Totally forgot all about Rock-A-Lott! Big props on digging that one out of the bin!

Land of Confusion was done by a group from England called Splitting Image (the name of their Television show), and they would spoof the headlines of the day on that programme, which is why they had those Ronald and Nancy puppets so handy!

I also think about Herbie Hancock’s big hit Rock It! as a part of this video family tree.

8. unscrambled1 permalink
    June 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Here’s my entry: the Fu-Schnickens’ (weird ass band) video for “Ring the Alarm,” where they fly around in a box of Chinese take out. Additionally, there are bizarre “ethnic” costumes.

Actually, the Digital Underground video for “Same Song,” which also contains bizarre “ethnic” costumes is pretty dang weirdass as well. Though it’s basically a standard hiphop video, only with the weird costumes. And a drive-in theater.