1. araymondjohnson permalink*
    May 10, 2010 12:37 am

oh damn. this makes me really sad, though listening to these clips again, at the same time happy we had her at all.

May 10, 2010 12:46 am

Nooooooooooo! And I was so happy just a minute earlier. That is too sad, but I’m with Raymond on being happy to have heard her sing and see her on The Cosby Show. I’m always a fan of the guest appearance.

3. May 10, 2010 2:42 am

Oh, man. That makes me sad. Though 92 years is a long time for anyone to be around, and she gave us so much while she was here. Just a few weeks ago, I watched her in “Ziegfeld Follies”, and her number there was one of the best parts of a very uneven movie. She will be missed.

4. May 10, 2010 4:43 am

This totally is breaking my heart. I’m watching a PBS series on Broadway and just read about Ms. Lena.

The Cosby Show ep was MY FAVORITE.

But besides being Sid Lumet’s MIL, she’ll always be:

to me.

RIP Lena Horne

May 10, 2010 12:08 pm

Nice one! And then there’s this appearance on Sesame Street. Who wouldn’t love to learn the alphabet from Ms. Horne? I also love that she tries to make eye contact with a muppet. Great performer!

I wish a little that we could designate Dame status in the U.S., because she would have had it.

6. Kaynek permalink
    May 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Such a sad day. First Lena graces the heavens with her voice, and then Frank Franzetta dies. Ugh.

I gotta agree with Snarky, Lena will always be Glenda the Good Witch to me. And I loved her on the Muppet Show.

It’s been raining here pretty much all day. Fitting, I think.

Just sad, sad sad…

May 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Lena Horne and Diahann Carroll were my favorite guest appearances on the Muppets ever.

8. May 11, 2010 10:04 am

Oh, Snarky and Ev, those are such awesome clips!

What a comforting voice she had. It’s like homemade Macaroni and Cheese on a rainy day. Brings you home, inside and out.

My favorite Muppet/Sesame guest was Madeline Kahn! Who is still sorely missed to this day.