1984! Now With 50% More Casio Handclaps

May 5, 2010

Then I look at you and the world's all right with me.

I can’t front. The first time I heard Bowie’s 1984 was not on Diamond Dogs, but on Tina’s SMASH comeback LP Private Dancer. I used to rock out to that song, Steel Claw – the “Black Cat” of its day – and the “coulda been a contender” party starter I Might Have Been Queen.

Can we talk about how Tina shut down “I Might Have Been Queen” when La Mommie took us to see her in 1984/1985 in Frankfurt. Man, folks could have stopped by Ramstein Air Base and found it a few brothas short. Playa, we were standing on them folding chairs telling her to “Go ‘head!” Cause, seeing Tina is like going to a black church. She’s up there testifying and the music’s real good.

Anyway, as I look to the coming summer of working, loving and hopefully power sliding (Electric Slide on Roller Skates) iPod made a mix for me. Not only was it delightful and slamming, but it also helped me blaze through the first ten items on my “Spring Cleaning” list.

And no, I don’t ever listen to any “new” music, unless instructed to do so by PopLife. Seriously, if she doesn’t tell me “it’s good” I’m not trying to hear that noise. As I approach 40 I look forward to blasting Luther, EW&F Slow Jams and Maze feat. Frankie Beverly from my car without judgment. You gotta earn the right to blast them jams from your Buppiemobile.

1. “Together” by Tierra
  16. “Makin’ It” by David Naughton – yeah the “Meatballs” song
  17. “65 Love Affair” by Paul Davis
  18. “Stir it Up” by Patti Labelle4
  19. “Rock-a-Lot” by Aretha5
  20. “1984” by Tina Turner

___________________________________________________________
1Better known to me as “the song from The Prodigal Son episode of Miami Vice introducing us to Penn Jillette“.
20:50 (slap ass)
3Oh I know you’re not asking me to defend my choice to get jiggy wit it. If so, here’s a quarter for your “buy a ladder and get the fuck over it” fund.
4Nobody’s watching. Go ‘head and get your Molly Ringwald on! *snap swing shuffle*
5The Rock-a-Lot is strong in this one.

1. Kia permalink
    May 5, 2010 6:05 am

I give this post a big Amen!

I turned 36 last month and can only shake my head whenever my beloved teenaged cousins share their jamz on FB. I’m in the middle of recreating my parents killer music collection and am having a grand time doing so.

2. May 5, 2010 6:26 am

@Kia I turned 37 in March and I feel you about these new jack jams.

3. May 5, 2010 7:01 am

1984 with arrangement by Quincy Jones and Tambourine by Josie and the Pussycats.

4. badhedgehog permalink
    May 5, 2010 7:35 am

There’s a supermarket where I shop sometimes that plays the best music. Earth Wind & Fire, Joe Jackson, Tina Turner. Round about 6.30, 7 pm, picking out reduced to clear bread rolls; there is no finer shopping music.

5. aliciamaud permalink
    May 5, 2010 7:45 am

Jealous, badhedgehog. My supermarket apparently plays Vanessa Carlson on repeat during my Regular Shopping Hours. I’d walk “1000 Miles” to hear some Tina while I make my yogurt purchases.

6. hsofia permalink
    May 5, 2010 10:47 am

I wish there was a BET radio station that would just play the same exact music that BET played from around 1984-1992.

7. May 5, 2010 12:27 pm

It is a well-known fact that the best music ever made was recorded when you were between 12 and 16 years old.

8. May 5, 2010 1:25 pm

Scientists have been recreating the results of this study in labs for years.

9. May 5, 2010 1:36 pm

Scientists have been recreating the results of this study in labs for years.

Yes and often while listening to the Rolling Stones.

10. burbly permalink
    May 5, 2010 4:28 pm

That explains me and “Ice Ice Baby.”

11. May 5, 2010 6:43 pm

Yes and often while listening to the Rolling Stones.

And talking about starting a band.

12. araymondjohnson permalink*
    May 6, 2010 7:53 am

I would like to put all these videos on a youtube playlist, then project them on the wall for a roller skating party for two.

13. May 6, 2010 8:02 am

@burbly, that made me think of this image, which always makes me laugh:

14. Q.V. permalink
    May 6, 2010 10:38 am

Got caught at an empty club once, where they were between famous DJs, and nothing keeps that dance floor clear like two people past their early-30s. College kids were poking their heads in before they paid cover, seeing that there was more staff than patrons, and ducking back out again. The DJ first tried to scare us off with some newer music but our persistence won out and he just started playing music from our “era”. I was embarassed that he had guessed my exact age when he played Prince.

15. May 6, 2010 1:39 pm

Q.V. said:

“I was embarassed that he had guessed my exact age when he played Prince.”

HA. That made me laugh so hard. Yeah, I’ve been to clubs similar and the DJs get real upset that nobody’s dancing to whatever crappery they’re playing. But the minute they cue “Rock With You” the dance’s full and everybody’s double parked.

16. May 6, 2010 2:31 pm

Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ.

17. May 7, 2010 5:30 pm

This makes me nostalgic for roller rinks and smelly skates.

18. May 7, 2010 5:41 pm

A roller skating jam called Saturdays…

19. May 7, 2010 6:17 pm