IFMiB Commenter of the Week: Irish Up

April 25, 2010

hippie horses hear a who.

One of the things I enjoy most about honoring the individual who has made folks laugh and furthered discussions is just how much information our commenters know! I mention my interest in the electric sliding hippie horses from the movie Hair and Irish Up* supplies a lovely behind-the-scenes glimpse into casting these talented animal actors! That’s what IFMiB is all about, y’all.

• I have some horsey “Hair” trivia: They auditioned horses from the now defunct Clairmont Stables that was on the West Side, and some other NYC stables for the riding scene with Claude & Sheila. Back in the day, there were several. I worked at one at the time & this was A BIG DEAL in horsey circles.

Dressage horses in both English and Western can do moves like that, just not put together that way. Police horses get extra-special training in responding to their riders. Those horses got worked to learn a new routine the same way dancers would. One of the horses used for the police horses was actually from the barn I worked; his owner was auxililiary mounted, and he was a super gymkhana horse (western type horse show – barrel riding & such) .

• “I’d just prefer to work with someone who is more original and someone who is not copying me, actually.”

And, what’s lovely about this, is it meets the Miss Manners’ test of being true, necessary and kind, as well as OH SNAP!

BTW, I mentioned GJ on a different post even before I got down here to see this. Grace must somehow be in the air.

• Seconding the love for Vigoda’s comedic timing. And the way he can move just like 2 face muscles only the merest fraction, and get more out of it than the overdone mugging of a Jim Carey type.

My family actually was psyched that there was going to be the “Fish” spinnoff when Barney Miller ended. Hah, well it was fun to anticipate, anyway.

• I’m with evmoon. I went to see CotT as a Sat. $1 matinee. LURVE that cheesey claymation – same effects they used in those Sinbad movies, right? Lordy, my poor dad was made to see all of those, too.

And yet, when I saw the trailer for this, my first thought was “whut? why? why? WHY????” My second thoght was “If it doesn’t have Athena’s inexplicably mechanical owl, that’s a deal-breaker.”

__________________________________________________
*No purchase necessary.

1. April 25, 2010 11:15 am

Yay, IrishUp! Thanks for making this a funner blog.

2. April 25, 2010 11:59 am

3. April 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Here here!

The horse trivia was amazing.

4. April 25, 2010 7:44 pm

I love the recap of Ms. Manners’ rules!

April 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Anyone who longs for the mechanical owl is a good egg. Yay for IrishUp!

6. April 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Good show, IrishUp.

7. araymondjohnson permalink*
    April 26, 2010 8:15 am

IrishUp, hell yeah!!!

8. IrishUp permalink
    April 26, 2010 9:13 am

I’m just happy to be here with the team, and, Good Lord willing, I hope I can make a contribution. It’s like a friend of mine used to say: this is a simple game. You throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes, it rains.

But seriously, thank you!!!!!! Considering the quality of the other commenters and the outstanding contributors, this really means more than winning an internetz. It’s hard to keep up with y’all at IFMiB!

9. April 26, 2010 10:38 am

Oh man, IrishUp, you just went even higher in my book… Anyone who quotes Bull Durham is A-Ok by me.

Are you breathing through your eyeballs?

10. badhedgehog permalink
    April 26, 2010 10:43 am

Hats off to IrishUp!

11. April 26, 2010 11:33 am

Are you breathing through your eyeballs?

Seriously. We should probably do a round up of Baseball themed Costner flicks, since he’s the only one allowed to make them.

12. IrishUp permalink
    April 26, 2010 12:16 pm

@pop; unfortunately, my eyelids are a bit clogged. I’m looking for a home remedy in the book I’m reading “Mayan Wisdom Made Easy”.

I would die of sports-movie squee for IFMiB takedown of Baseball themed Costner flicks, or any other disection of sports a/o costner movies .