And the Dance Floor’s Full, but Everybody’s Double-Parked!

April 18, 2010

Damn, I love it when non “disco” bands go “disco” for a song or an entire album. It’s one of my favorite things ever.

Wings “Daytime Nighttime Suffering”

This was about as disco as P-Mac could muster. Remember he was in The Beatles. A nasty bass line is about all we’re gonna get, but it’s definitely nasty and you can work with it.

Jewel “Intuition”

I can’t remember what I was doing when this jam dropped in the spring of 2003, but frankly, it couldn’t have been much. Probably wrapping up the school year and on to my summer job of writing, giving college tours, working in the library and of course painting all the dorm rooms. Many a night was spent playing this song over and over being dazzled by its slamming beat and clever lyrics. Personally, I find it hilarious and subversive for Jewel to license her anti-commercialism disco anthem to sell razors and shaving cream. Well played, Jewel!

Beck “Sex Laws”

Beck’s always been known rock the mic, but even “Where it’s at” wasn’t quite disco enough for me. I mean, yeah I could rage it – you know in a pinch – but he didn’t really bring it (for me) until he release his ode to Prince and James Brown. Beck would later go on to blow my mind with Cellphone’s Dead.

John Mellencamp “I’m Not Running Anymore”

Now I’ve been dancing to Mellencamp since the days of “The Authority Song” and when we were calling him Johnny Cougar, but when he set one of his songs to a Frankie Knuckles style house beat I was like, “Oh snap! Johnny’s gone disco. About freaking time!” It was about time we had a proper booty jam from him.

Stone Temple Pilots “Big Bang Baby”

I tell you what, there wasn’t a box or a cage in all of LA county you could keep me away from when this song blew up the spot. Disco STP, FTW.

Blur “Girls and Boys

I came from a time when Blur was solid hipster brunch music and maybe the soundtrack for evening cocktails, but it was NOT generally thought to be booty popping music. Oh sure, now we dance to Blur and its satellites, but man this was explosive when it dropped in the mid 1990s. Playa, you could throw out your back with this jammy jam. Trust me, I’ve done the legwork.

The Rolling Stones “Emotional Rescue”

Ahhh, they perfected on what they started with “Miss You”. Now they were cooking with real disco gas.

Rod Steward “Do Ya Think?”

Two words: Carmine Appice. And that bass player is shutting it down too.

1. araymondjohnson permalink*
    April 18, 2010 10:35 pm

omg, I was DJing a lot when that Intuition song came out and I’d always play it and be like “that’s right mtherfckers. I’m playing JEWEL and you LIKE IT, don’t you?!?”

2. April 18, 2010 10:56 pm

I love that she’s having fun making the video. It’s a great song. Everyone should go disco once and then they can go back to whatever it is they normally do. That scene at the end with fire trucks had me LOLing the first time I saw the video.

I always did like Jewel. I find her comforting like The Wallflowers or The Verve Pipe.

3. April 18, 2010 11:43 pm

Man, I was ready to go nuts if you didn’t include the Stones. I’m even more tickled that you chose Emotional Rescue! I love deep cuts!

Blur! Yes! STP! Yes! (My old college roomies recorded that shiz, and played it over and over and over during Art History study sessions).

Beck… oh man, I love me some Midnight Vultures. There are some amazing B-sides from that album that get down and dirty as well. <3<3<3

4. April 19, 2010 12:40 am

I miss Snarky’s disco Star Wars ringtone! If you’re not going to use it, hand it over!

5. April 19, 2010 10:52 am

Damn, Mick is getting his groove on. Even he can’t resist it. He blames it on the boogie.

6. M.A. permalink
    April 20, 2010 4:04 pm

I so love Midnight Vultures. I am with p0plife. It is maybe my favorite Beck album and I find many that don’t share my opinion! I love everything about it, the lyrics, the arrangements…

7. Alyssa permalink
    May 10, 2010 11:27 am

Oh man, I LOVE all those songs!!!!! “Emotional Rescue” brings back memories of being, I think, 11 years old and dancing in the living room to that song with my friend Aimee.
    Continuing the tradition, my son, at 1 1/2, heard “Do You Think I’m Sexy” when we were out walking one, and stopped walking in order to start dancing. It was really frickin’ cute!