Adventures in DWTS Blogging

March 23, 2010
tags:

I professionally blog about the television show Dancing with the Stars (DWTS).  This fact is still hilarious, ridiculous, and amazing to me — and now I wouldn’t change it.  It came about as a matter of necessity, I was a movie reviewer, but the budget for that ran out and they needed coverage in the area of television, and so I jumped on board and immersed myself in the world of DWTS, chatting up friends I knew who’d watched it from the beginning.  At the end of the season, my editor contacted me about doing an interview with Mya, who was not really on my radar that season, I was voting elsewhere, but I wasn’t going to turn down a big break into the illustrious world of celebrity journalism, i.e. a chance to sit on my bed in my pajama bottoms and talk on the phone to the woman who sings Ghetto Superstar about any possible backstage gossip on the show.  See, it was my job to care, and I can take a job seriously when it comes to immersing oneself in a world and observing what is happening in it, that is what writers do.  And I won’t lie, she softened my heart to her plight after that interview, I have mad respect for Mya’s work ethic now, even if I will never own any of her records.

So I am not a DWTS superfan, I wouldn’t proselytize the show to anyone the way I would about say, Parks and Recreation or Friday Night Lights, but it has become my beat as a writer, and so now I care.  I watch the show every week, twice a week, I’d write up recaps at night and wake up early to scour the web for clips to add to my posts at Popnography.  This season I decided to take matters into my own hands, I dug out a wire that came with my little flippy cam, and I snipped and posted my own clips of the show (and I’m now waiting for my first youtube cease and desist notice, too, I’m sure).  I uploaded them last night, and my blog recap hasn’t been published yet, but people on youtube have found my clips anyway, over a thousand views in twelve hours, and monitoring what conversations are happening there is already proving useful.

The ex/current-(who knows/cares)-Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger is at the top of the leaderboard this week and here is her viennese waltz:

Half of mtherfckers are praising her elegance, and the other half have already ordered a round of haterade and started in on the “she’s a professional dancer already, it’s cheating”.  This is the same complaint made against Mya last season.  I’m not totally in disagreement, but I just think it’s odd how this standard gets applied to r&b singers who dance in videos.  Why not distaste for the gold medal figure skater?  His athleticism and training is just as advantageous.  Oh wait, it’s probably because he’s a hunky white dude.

My votes are with comedienne Niecy Nash.  And while I am nervous about how ABC will edit and portray her, as this show is not exactly progressive in format or audience, I am choosing to trust that she has enough strength, talent, and panache to hold her own among the the potential assclowns.

Between her and Cheryl Burke dancing every week, I am not mad.

1. March 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Nicey looks amazing! “if I lose my jiggly parts, you’re gonna get it.”

I want that part stitched on a pillow.

Also, she is FANTASTIC. Stereotypes notwithstanding, she’s a natural.

2. angie permalink
    March 23, 2010 1:47 pm

i am not mad either! xo!

March 23, 2010 6:36 pm

I hope she does a number in a Reno policewoman’s uniform.

4. msjacks permalink
    March 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Two words: Chad. Ochocinco.

5. araymondjohnson permalink*
    March 24, 2010 12:26 am

right?? and he’s dancing with Cheryl!! I can’t wait for the sexy dances.

6. araymondjohnson permalink*
    March 24, 2010 12:27 am

I am waiting for that too!! Or at least a sequins dress that resembles a police uniform. It is so obvious, I can’t imagine they would pass up the opportunity.

March 24, 2010 1:12 am

I know, right? Or have her dance to something that uses the phrase, “clean house.” Of course, I can’t come up with a song using that lyric.

8. March 24, 2010 8:10 am

She’s gotta dance with a broom or mop! Lots of “sweeping” gestures.

9. March 24, 2010 8:10 am

That cha cha was mad tasty!

10. badhedgehog permalink
    March 24, 2010 10:07 am

Hell, if anyone’s going to have a massive advantage , it’s a figure skater. R&B singers always get that criticism (people said the same about Alesha Dixon), and point out in their own defence that while they do dance on stage and in videos, they don’t dance like THAT.

It was really sweet to see Lewis there supporting Nicole. He looks like such a normal bloke when he’s off the clock.

And I love “If I lose my jiggly parts, you’re gonna get it.”

11. March 24, 2010 1:54 pm

I’ve never watched this show. So are the celebrities always paired with a trained dancer? Niecy’s partner looked pretty expert.

Niecy Nash’s body moves have an expressiveness I really relate to. I feel like my own dancing sometimes jiggles, not quite out of control say, but exuberantly for sure.

12. March 24, 2010 2:07 pm

I’ve never watched it either, even when Lil’ Kim was on there, which amazes and saddens me. But yeah, they are always paired with a trained dancer.

I need to watch it at least once, I think.

13. March 24, 2010 6:32 pm

I totally wanna see Lil’ Kim dancing her 4’10 self in some giant cha cha heels.

14. msjacks permalink
    March 24, 2010 9:06 pm

I am pulling for Ochocinco all the way. To be fair, I have never seen this show before except for the first five minutes of episode one of this season, which I turned on with my fingers crossed hoping that Ochocinco would go first. Which he did!!! My prayers were answered!!!

15. msjacks permalink
    March 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Such a true point, about figure skaters having way more of an advantage over R&B singers!!

16. araymondjohnson permalink*
    March 25, 2010 8:31 am

Start it at 1:15.

She was eliminated after this dance!! Because the audience voted for the aw-shucks blond cowboy who made good efforts, that fcker! I was so pissed I didn’t watch the rest of this season, which worked out for the best, since some damn gymnast won. It was a rough time in my relationship with DWTS.

17. March 25, 2010 11:45 am

You’re doing the Lord’s work here, Ray Ray. I can’t really understand is this a dance contest or a popularity contest. Forgive my naiveté.

18. araymondjohnson permalink*
    March 25, 2010 2:24 pm

It’s 50% scores by the professional judges, 50% votes. Why did I get involved?? Now it’s too late. What also fascinates me is that real devotees of the show are fans of the professional dancers and vote for them, versus just watching whatever C-lister they are throwing around on the floor.

19. March 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Okay, that makes more sense,. So the show is like an episode of Love Boat on a dance floor?

20. araymondjohnson permalink*